Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My book remains unread.


I catch a train to Melbourne, because I can.
It's cheaper than a flight this week, and that is how I chose.
I think of Nelly and Dan Kelly and chew my nails as I stare out the window at the slow moving scenery.
I travel past many an un-mowed lawn, many a junk pile, many a run down home and many a 3rd-hand vehicle.
I travel past a deflated blow-up pool, in purple, red and green, out front of a disheveled block of units.
I travel past many empty warehouses and rundown shop fronts and "for lease" signs and I am grateful for Gosford and her many inhabited stores.
I ride straight through countless Train Stations, and some I stop at.
I see a Maori boy with one side of his thick head of hair completely shaven off.
He reminds me of a girl I used to know when I used to go to church, but don't anymore, but want to again.
Kmart, Woolworths, Franklins, busses, child-care centers, football fields, well-manicured roundabouts, Fitness-First, Bunnnings Warehouse, AMF Bowling, Gold-Class Cinema's, townhouses, estates, golf courses, speed signs, wire fences, full trees and some empty of their leaves.
I see horses and orchards and open fields and small farm houses.
The scenery has changed.
I see an old man leading his horse through a dam of water.
I see growth and greenery and nature.
I imagine rabbits skipping and hopping across the terrain, but there are none.
I see a perfect tree.
I am happy to be beyond the Suburbs.
All I see is green.
I try to stop biting my nails.
And my book remains unread.

1 comment: